Saturday, July 13, 2013

Meet Splash's Back To The Roots Home!

It's been a busy work week, and I'm so glad the weekend is here! I've been all eyes on my new AquaFarm purchase from Back To The Roots since it was delivered a few days ago. Quite simply it is a self-cleaning fish tank that grows food! Fish waste feeds the plants - and the plants clean the water in the tank. How awesome right?! My new little beta fish, Splash agrees, it is a three gallon water mansion compared to the cup of blue water he was sitting in at Petsmart.

I found Back To The Roots by chance on their AquaFarm Kickstarter campaign when they just started gathering enough funds from product supporters so that they could make their idea a reality! The company has been very transparent throughout the whole product launch process, and has even made videos for us as investors to see behind the scenes footage of the manufacturing. I love that Back To The Roots is helping their customers by spending dedicated time on their Facebook page to help answer questions, concerns, and sharing the latest product information updates from their HQ in Oakland, California.



To see just how amazing the founders and company are, check out the video below that shows how far the AquaFarm has come from being campaigned on Kickstarter to being available for purchase on the U.S. market:




I'm a sucker for great marketing and product packaging, and I have to say that Back To The Root's packaging is one of the most creative, attractive, multi-purpose, and easy to understand packaging I've EVER seen. The recycled cardboard is efficiently put together and uses the inside panels to include an AquaFarm Adventure Story to read to kids as they begin their AquaFarm journey with their parents, and a Science Corner explaining how the AquaFarm works to create the aquaponics cycle. Can't lose any loose instructional papers now!



The AquaFarm comes with everything you need to start your tank except the water, fish, and decor pieces - which makes putting the AquaFarm together super easy. I also like that it has grips on the bottom of the tank so it doesn't slide around. This was my first time ever to set up a fish tank, so it took me a little longer than 30 minutes. I followed the instructions step by step and was able to set it up without a problem. *I'd recommend to get the fish(es) before you start to set up the tank so the fish(es) can sit and get used to the water temperature while you get everything else setup.

Included in the packaging is a discount for a beta fish at any Petco. This is a nice deal, but I didn't have one close to where I live so I just went to Petsmart and the betas there run from $2 to $12 depending on how fancy of a fish you want. If you don't like betas, you can certainly get any other type of small fish and have about 3 max. You can have snails as well if you really want  :) 

What's super nice is that you get 3 packets of seeds to grow plants you can actually eat! If you don't want to grow what's in the seed packets, you can plant in the pot containers other plants without dirt (super important you don't add dirt).





Seeds are all planted, so we'll see some sprouts hopefully in the next couple weeks :) Make sure that the pump and the clear tube are letting enough air and water travel up into the grow tray; this was my problem on Day 1. I had to straighten out the clear tube and increase the water being brought up into the grow tray so the rocks could get more water.



Such a neat fish tank right? Beats any other fish tank out on the market and is also affordable at only $55.99 on the Back To The Roots website. Splash is just loving it and swims around more than any other Beta I've seen! He loves his natural balanced diet fish food too :) See the video below and follow ArtSea Chic on Instagram at @ArtSeaChic for more videos and pics.



Unless otherwise stated, all content and photographs are ©ArtSea Chic. Please do not copy or distribute photographs without first asking for permission. Paid endorsement disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of compensation for my endorsement, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this blog, which are mentioned in the ArtSea Chic Media Kit. Please know that I only recommend and endorse products and services that I personally approve, appreciate, and feel would be helpful for readers. All ideas and opinions expressed are completely my own. Thank you for supporting ArtSea Chic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover